Sunday, May 15, 2011

Doll Skin-care Kit

I was asked to make doll skin-care kits for party favors for a birthday party I recently did. The catalog  price of $18 seems really steep. So I set off to make my own less expensive one and thought I would share it with you. I used broad cloth and a stretchy elastic as a closer, included two baby sized face cloths, a round make up sponge and made a hair band like the one in the catalog out of 12 inches of  1/2 inch Elastic.
I used an over sized birthday card envelope as my pattern. The envelope measured 9 inches by 5.5 inches.

I cut three rectangles this size out of black broad cloth. I folded and ironed one in half. This one is for the pockets. I did a basting stitch along the folded edge. Taking one of the other pieces I placed the raw edge of the piece I sewed for the pocket and matched it with the bottom of the other piece of  broad cloth, then I did a basting stitch along the bottom to secure it. Next I folded it like a book and ironed it. Then I opened it back up and did a basting stitch along the ironed line to create two pockets. I stitched to the top of the pocket and then did a back stitch to secure it. Next I placed the other piece of broad cloth over top with wrong sides facing out. I pinned the elastic to the right hand side just above the pocket. and then stitched on three sides leaving the bottom open. Then I turned it inside out and folded with my fingers the bottom edges in and iron it. Next I stitched a basting stitch along the  now ironed edge and my Skin care case was complete.
To fill the kit I purchased round make up sponges from Shoppers Drug Mart ( like a Wallgreens for my US friends) 12 for $5.00 and I bought baby face clothes at the dollar store $1.25 for 3. I used Elastic from the dollar store also to creat the hair elastic. Start to finish each skin care kit cost about $3.50 to make.
I am also thinking of picking up some iron on flowers to embellish the fronts of the skin-care kits.

 The above is the kit you can get from American Girl for $18
This is what it looks like closed.
The photo above is of the items I put in the skin/hair care kit for the birthday party I did.
I think these made a really cute party favors and am thinking of making some for my Etsy Store. If you have any questions on how to make one of these please let me know!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. Karen, you never stop amazing me with the ideas you come up with...... it almost made me measure my old doll up, 'cause I think she might be an 18 inch one. But I'm going to wai for Lotte to develop an interest in dolls, and then I will go wild with your crafting ideas ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I can not wait to see how your crafts turn out! I hope Lotte likes them as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! You have shower caps in quotes - what are they really? I need to shop my $1 store in a whole new way!
    Just discovered your blog from Doll Diaries - will be spending a lot of time checking out your great ideas - but 1st to make skin care kit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kris! I am so happy to have your comment! It is my goal to make other doll lovers able to spot the amazing items at the dollar store that can be re purposed into great doll accessories. I love Doll Diaries and recommend them highly!
    As for what my shower caps are...there is a blog post coming up shortly about them however I will let you in on the secret! Do you remember about 10 years ago when Glad came out with these "quick covers". Now the dollar stores have them for quick covers of bowls and cups. My dollar store has had them in Lemon and Cherry and the multi size pack comes with sizes that are perfect for our dolls. Check back daily as I have been posting new doll related items on my blog every day since January and will continue to do so until I run out of ideas! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! You are very creative.. I have tons of those dollar store covers right now. I usually don't have anything small enough that I want to use the smallest cover for. Bingo! Now they have a use. Thank you so much.

    Marie in California ,U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Marie! I love to hear that you can use my ideas! Thank you for letting me know! If you have any questions just let me know I will do my best to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the skin/hair kit idea. I was thinking of getting into making accessories for 18inch dolls. I have inspired me. Thanks!
    Keisha

    ReplyDelete