Friday, April 5, 2013

April is Autism Awareness Month


Did you know that April is Autism Awareness Month?

 For those of you who may not know every day in my life is Autism Awareness Day, not just one month of the year, you see I am a mother of two Autistic Children.
Aujza proudly poses with her Doll and newly acquired Until Every Piece of The Puzzle Fits Outfit!


Autism is a Neurological Condition which is a fancy way of saying that people with Autism learn differently then people who do not have Autism.

You can also think of Autism Spectrum Disorder  like you would a computer. Some people have PC's and Some People have Mac's, while they are both computers they work a little differently and work towards the same goal, just like people who have Autism and those who don't.

So what does Autism Awareness have to do with dolls you may wonder...
Well I personally believe in the power of Doll Play and teaching through modeled behavior. Dolls are a great teaching tool and a fun way to learn.

 I also believe that both boys and girls learn through play and not just doll play.  Doll Play is and should be for everyone.

 You may have seen that puzzle pieces are used to represent Autism. The puzzle piece is used to explain that Autism is a Puzzling Disorder (It is not a Disease just so you know) hence the puzzle piece. Madelon sent in these photo's of Kit putting her puzzle together for Autism Awareness. She found them 2 for $1 on one of her recent shopping trips.
People who have Autism (as well as their families) are just like you. They often have things that they really like and things that they really don't like, just like you. You may have met or know many people who have Autism and not known it. The truth is you can not always tell a person has Autism just by looking at them, which is another thing people find puzzling.

 Chances are you have someone with Autism in your school, church or area that you know of and there are somethings you can do to befriend and be a good friend to someone with Autism. As with everyone you need to make a connection with that person, start by saying "Hello", sometimes you may have to do this several days in a row before you get an answer back sometimes you will get a "Hi" back, or a wave or nod. Get to know them by asking them (or the people around them, like teachers or classroom helpers) what they like, you may discover that they like dolls, or have the favorite color just like you.
I do not have all the answers on Autism and do not have a medical background but I give you this information as a parent and person who lives with Autism every day.
What I would  like you to do for Autism Awareness? 
Just to be aware that everyone is important, different and yet the same.  If you would like to change the world, start with yourself, choose to make the world you live in a nicer place for all, with your actions and your words.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com
PS, if you or someone you know is living with Autism I would love to hear from you.



13 comments:

  1. Awww, this is so cute! My brother has Autism, so this post was cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to comment! I am glad you liked the post today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 18 year old son has Asperger's syndrome. He is high functioning and has a hard time socializing. People may just think he's a little odd, some can't figure out why he acts the way he does. It's a little painful as a parent to watch isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sharyln, Yes as parent it is really tough. We work on social thinking all the time with our boys which seems to be making a difference, we find that they are socially motivated by things they are interested in, for my older one it is video games, we have found peers in his age group who also like video games and work together with them to help him be less awkward and socially acceptable in that area and we find it does transfer to non preferred activities too. But yes it is really tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loves video games! It's hard to get him interested in anything else. :). He is holding down a job right now, which we are glad of. Payday means new video game day *sigh* I try to not complain, he's worked hard for his money :)

      Delete
    2. Here too but the fact he has a job and uses it to buy video games is no different then when we go to the spa or buy books etc. Your son is currently one of my hero's. Good for him and your entire family!

      Delete
    3. Thanks. ;-). I am enjoying your blog and all the fun dolly ideas!

      Delete
  5. Dear Karen,

    I love your blog. You are such a creative person. I have one or two people in my class that have it, and you are exactly right, they are just like all of us. I love talking to a girl in my class who has it, she is so nice and funny! Though she is a little different, I don't even notice. Hope to talk to you soon! -Rachel-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miaagdoll, how wonderful,you taking time to make a connection with any of your classmates is wonderful I am thrilled to know you are part of the positive change the world needs!

      Delete
  6. I know somebody with asperger's,and at one point,mommy and daddy thought I might have autisim,and that is closely related to epilepsy,which I have.You can think of them as being in the same "neighborhood".
    Norah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check us out. Every day is AA Day for us, too :)

    P.S. Love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete