Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bath time outfit For American Girl dolls (or any 18 inch doll)

Well I had a fun afternoon of crafting. For Christmas my niece Trinity gave me the My generation doll Bath Tub from Zellers, I love it! So does she and while she is visiting me here for the next few days she gets to use it with her doll Horsella. So I have made bath towels and hair wraps with a face cloth that doll can hold.

Here is how I made the Bath towel. First a trip to the Dollar Store, or you can use an old towel (with permission of course) My bath towel cost $1.25 at the dollar store and I can make two towels and two head wraps and two facecloths out of it! A great deal!
So you need a regular sized bath towel, matching thread, a sewing Machine, 1/2 elastic, a large safety pin (buttons for embellishment if you want).
*If you can sew a straight line with a sewing machine then you can make this too!
Fist measure 10 1/2 inches up from the bottom of the towel and cut a strait line. Next fold over the raw edge you just cut 2 inches. Machine ZIG ZAG stitch a straight line along the edge of your fold creating a "casing" for the elastic to go through. Next cut 12 inches of Elastic and poke the safety pin through and close. then thread the elastic through the casing until you get to the other side. Sew the elastic in to place on one end. Then gather the fabric and pull the elastic out the other end and sew the opening closed. Then take one edge and  lay it two inches over the out side of the towel and stitch down 2 inches. You can attach a button or other embellishments at this time, see the photo for clarification. Now you have a doll towel that will stay up on her!
For the Hair towel I used 12 inches of towel fabric that was left over and using already finished end as the front of the Doll towel I then sewed a "gnome shaped hat" (see photo) using the Zig Zag Stitch, then I turned it inside out put it on the Dolls head to measure. Then I took the top and positioned it  to look like it was a turban, and sewed the tip into place. You can embellish it at this time if you would like.
For the face cloth I used left over material and cut rectangle I finished the edges with the zig zag stitch and attached a small amount of elastic in a loop so it could stay on dolls and. Easy and Fun took less then one hour!
I would love to know what you think please leave me a comment!

8 comments:

  1. Super cute. My Trinity would love that. She just got a doll that size for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let me know if you make it or if you have any trouble with the pattern, or I do sell it on my Etsy site! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute! I loved the American Girl dolls back in the day. So seeing this is a nice trip down memory lane! :)

    Great blog so far! I'll definitely be checking out your future crafts and baking endeavors!

    mellermann86 from SB

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a neat idea. I used to love American Girl dolls when I was younger, and when I have kids I'm probably going to force them onto them! :)

    The Tiger Bars look really yum!!

    - allthisbeauty from SB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I'll have to pass this along to my sister-in-law, as my niece is very much into American Girl right now.

    --melydia from swap-bot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow three boys! I know you are one busy lady!
    I Must try the recipe too sounds yummy!
    Happy New Year!Bleu Belle Studio Swap-Bot

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet idea =) Home made stuff for dolls are the best!

    Lexidh@Swapbot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your AGD accessories - Christmas has landed with my need to make some cute things for an AGD that is being gifted to my neighbors daughter. The bath towel - towels I have access to are HUGE and very thick. I made one of the robes and it is very bulky at the gathering edge. Any tips on how to reduce the bulk? What is the cut width and length of the bath robe? I'm considering just buying terry cloth off the bolt from the fabric store.

    ReplyDelete