Monday, March 28, 2011

Embellishing your dolls outits with artifical flowers

Another great dollar store craft find are Glue guns, refill glue sticks and artificial flowers.
Only use a glue gun if you are an adult or have an adult assisting you
Craft glue will work but you will have faster  and stronger results with a glue gun. 
This is an outfit I have made for my doll clothes swap partner Susie, on Swap-bot for our American girl doll Easter outfit swap. I had a great time making the dress and shoes. I have embellished a
 ready made doll hat with the same small flower blossoms from the dollar store. To add flowers to dress up any outfits, first plug in your glue gun. While it is heating up, separate the flower bloom from the wire stems. Leaving the small plastic on the back for now and set aside the ones you are going to use. When you are ready, carefully peel back the green plastic from the back of the flower and trim the plastic that holds the center of the flower, almost to the back of the flower petal. Add the glue to the area on the item you are embellishing then carefully press the flower bloom onto the the blob of glue and hold it in place for a few seconds. Careful not to burn your fingers! 

You can also sew artificial flowers to clothes by removing the center part of the flower and replacing the center with a button as I have done in the photo above, it gives a slightly more permanent attachment and if you are unhappy with the way it looks it is easier to remove.
All in all I was really happy with this outfit and I hope my partner is as well.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I really like the hat and how the flowers tie everything together. Did you use a pattern for the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I used a Liberty Jane pattern I got as a bounus called the shiny happy dress. I loved making it! Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete