Friday, March 4, 2011

Make a blanket and pillow for your doll "sew or glue"

A really nice way to dress up any doll room or make a girl/dolls day is with a very inviting blanket and pillow.
 SEWING DIRECTIONS
If you have a sewing machine and  have been thinking of pulling it out, here is a great craft to make, easy if you can sew a straight (or straight-ish) line. To make this for a 18 inch doll , make your blanket 21 inches long and 18 inches wide. Cut two pieces of material the same size, pin them right sides facing each other and stitch them together on three sides, leaving one side open to turn your right sides out. then pin the bottom closed and straight stitch it closed. I do this then continue the stitch around the entire blanket giving it a uniform look on all edges. Then make the pillow, I would recommend that you cut your pillow 12 inches by 9 inches and repeat the steps above but before you close the pillow stuff it with fiber fill or cotton balls to the thickness you desire.
GLUE METHOD DIRECTIONS Now if you do not have a sewing machine you can still make a great blanket and pillow  set using the same measurements as above. You could buy liquid stitch or a no sew craft glue and run the glue around the edges of the material on three sides let dry, turn inside out and close the open edge with glue and let dry. Work on the pillow in the same way and you should get very similar results.

You can never have too many pillows or blanket sets for your doll and these would make great birthday gifts or loot bag treats for doll themed parties or sleep overs.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you please feel free to email me at karenmowen@gmail.com or leave a comment here.

4 comments:

  1. I lov your website and i visit it all the time

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! I'm making 3 sets for my neighbor's 9 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, just made one for my daughter's doll!
    The hardest part is choosing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, thank you for sharing your work! You really inspired me to do it on my own, even though I have absolutely no sewing skills ;)
    Anyway, if you're into business stuff, check out my website for some useful info.

    ReplyDelete