Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fabric Scrap outfit

I belong to an on line mail and craft swapping site called Swap-bot. For a recent scavenger hunt swap,  I received in the mail my swap partner a piece of her favorite skirt that was too thread bear to continue wearing but too precious to discard. So she sent it my way thinking I could find something creative to do with it. When it arrived I noticed she sent the bottom hem that was slightly gathered and the perfect length for a skirt. So I finished the edges added elastic and made a skirt. I then set out to make a simple top to match. I added some pink seam binding and used another scrap to create a hair band.
I am thrilled with how a piece of a favorite skirt has been reborn into a new outfit that I will now send her back as a surprise for her new baby daughter to enjoy as she gets older.  So before you toss out or pass down a favorite item, think about weather or not you could re-purpose it into something special for your doll.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I do that a lot with my little sister's dresses. I actually used the gather on one of the middles of them to make a little dress once for dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How simple is the darling "simple top" in the photo? It looks like just what I need to use in a mom's beginning sewing class for AG doll stuff! I'd love to have you share the pattern with us!

    Karen (mom of 2 in MN)

    ReplyDelete