Saturday, June 4, 2011

An interview with Teresa from the Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/pippaloo

I recently interviewed Teresa from  http://www.etsy.com/shop/pippaloo 
about the amazing doll food items she has in her shop. Her food items are so realistic and her shop inspired me to try to make my own doll food months ago. I was thrilled that she agreed to answer a few questions for me and I wanted to share them with you. Here are the questions I emailed her and her answers. I hope you will enjoy this interview as much as I did. I also invite you to check out her store on Etsy.
 Here are the questions I asked her along with photos from her store of her amazing food creations .

Your store is my favorite for doll sized food on Etsy. I love the attention to detail and realistic quality your products have. When did you start making doll food.
A: I started about 3 years ago.  My girls and I wanted foods for our dolls, so I bought some clay and really just started playing around.  I found it incredibly fun and then along the way it became a sort of personal challenge to make things look as realistic as I could.  What materials do you prefer to use?   A:Everything I make is made primarily with just polymer clay.  I use pastel chalks, oil and acrylic paints as well on some items.

When you make each item do you make a few of each at a time or create only one at a time? A:   I always make multiples of items I have in my shop.  Somethings I make dozens of at one time, while other things I only make a few of.  Even when I do a custom order I make at least two or three of them- one for me to keep for our dolls- and also to have as a reference in case I need to reproduce it.
How long do you spend creating each piece and how much time to you spend creating each day?  A: Really does depend.  Somethings only take a couple of  minutes, while others can take up to 45 minutes.    I have a goal set for each day-  of things I want to accomplish- so that means I could be working two hours or 8 hours. 
What items have been your best sellers? A: During the holidays the Gingerbread Cookies were my best seller- hands down.  With summer approaching, items like my popsicles, lollipops and hotdogs have been strong.   
What is your favorite item to make? A:   I have to admit that I like making things that I have never attempted to make before.  Especially when I get a custom order for a unique item.  I do of course have limitations- there are just some things that don't replicate well in the scale I work in.
What is your inspiration for the items you make? A: Most of the items are usually foods my girls have asked for.  That's how I started out.  A lot of the items in my shop were born from custom order requests. 

 How many American girl dolls or 18 inch dolls live at your house? A: There are nine- we have both historical girls and modern.  The focus in my shop has mainly been food for modern dolls- but I aim to start including foods that would be suitable for other time periods.

 Do you have any advice for my readers who may be wanting to start out making their own doll food?  A:Buy yourself some clay and just start playing around with it.   Don't be afraid to mess up and make mistakes.  It's a cliche, but it really is the only way to learn.  

I personally think your prices are fantastic for the quality you offer how do you keep up with the demand?  A: Because I make many multiples of things at one time I am able to keep my prices down and fair.
   
 
Have you ever tried to make a food item that did not turn out and if so what was it?  A:Oh yes, of course!  Many times my first attempts at things go awry, even now- if it's something I have never made. But that's part of the fun. 

 Can our readers or their parents request specialty items from you? A:  Absolutely.  I am constantly getting special requests for items.  It's about half of my business.

 Your Popsicle, Pizza and Ice Cream cones are some of my favorite items in your shop which of these items are the best sellerA:The popsicles are definitely the best sellers.  I have to say that I am a bit partial to the ice cream cones personally. 

Do you make Doll clothes?   I do.  And to be honest designing and sewing for the dolls is as big of a passion as making the food.  I just never seem to find the time these days, my shop orders keep me pretty busy- along with my two real life girls.

 You must have the best doll tea parties on the planet! Do your girls still love to play with their dolls or are they more of a keep sake now?  My girls are 10 and almost 7- so they are still into their dolls.  The 10 yr old has moved away from them a bit over the last year- but will do their hair or dress them occasionally.  The foods have always been the items that get the most play time in our house- besides the dolls themselves of course.  We've played countless hours of lemonade stand, tea party, restaurant, ice cream shop,  pizza place, beach stand, holiday gala- the list is endless.  Sort of like real life- there is always some kind of food involved!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com
For more information or to request a special item from Teresa visit her Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/pippaloo

3 comments:

  1. what a wonderful playfood items!! that's some serious skilled person making them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interview Karen. Teresa, you make great stuff. My daughter and I have been deciding what to order to it was great to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bee for letting me know! Best wishes and enjoy your new doll food!

    ReplyDelete