Saturday, May 21, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Scones with Butter Cream icing


I have the good fortune of baking allot and sharing with others so I thought I would share one of my famous scone recipes.
Apple Cinnamon Scones with Butter Cream icing, is a recipe I created for the wedding of Will and Kate. I had actually done the scones for a long time but added the icing and now there is no going back.
Scone recipe
3 cups of all purpose flour
2/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of apple sauce or other fruit puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
4 tsps of baking powder
1/3 cup of milk
1/2 cup of shortening ( I use lard really I do) or margarine
1 grated apple or chopped small
In a bowl place the flour, sugars, baking powder,cinnamon and apple. Mix. add your shortening and mix until it is like bread crumbs.Add egg, milk, apple sauce and vanilla mix, mixture should be thick and wet. Scoop spoonfuls on to a cookie sheet in your desired size. Bake until golden brown. about 12-15 minutes at 400F
While the scones are baking make your icing.
Icing Recipe
1/2 cup of margarine or shortening
3 cups of icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp of milk
Mix all the above ingredient together if you like a thinner icing add more milk to the mixture.
Once the scones have been removed from the oven place a dollop of icing on top of each scone.
Topping

Cinnamon Topping recipe
1 tsp of cinnamon
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tbsp of white sugar
Mix together and sprinkle over the icing topped scones.

Now for Doll sized Treats available on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/listing/69387850/miniature-assorted-scones?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=doll+food+scones&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade
These doll sized scones are available from the Etsy shop MinnieKitchen
For only $9. Such a great deal. Check out her shop on Etsy.

As with all my posts I would love to hear from you please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com 

2 comments: