Friday, February 11, 2011

Heart Balloons For 18 inch Dolls for Valentines Day

Well it is raining again and I have a really busy weekend ahead so I thought I would post this craft now so that if you were looking for easy rainy day virtually mess free Valentine Doll crafts you may consider this low cost craft. Today I made a trip to another dollar store today this one near my doctor who I thankfully do not visit often, however I may make the short trip to this dollar store again. This one is called Dollar Land Plus in Westview Center here in North Vancouver. I was pleased to find 4 inch foam hearts they were in a package 2 for $1.25 . I have been looking for 4 inch egg shaped foam but was thrilled to find these. The craft I am doing is adapted from the wonderful Doll Parties book from American Girl Doll I got mine from Boarders when my sister in law Janeen went to Seattle for the weekend and kindly picked it up for me as I have not seen it in Canada yet. IF YOU CAN ORDER THIS BOOK I TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT! ISBN 078-1-59369-647-4 Well worth the money. It comes with a wonderful assortment of activities and great doll party ideas. So here is my version of a party balloon for American Girl Dolls in time for Valentine's Day.
You need :
2, 4 inch foam hearts
1 pair of Chopsticks
red or pink tissue paper
a twist tie, best if it matches the color of the tissue, I did not have it and used black
scissors
and a tan or skin toned Elastic to get the doll to hold the Balloon.
First I separated the  chop sticks and inserted one in each foam heart. Next I unfolded the tissue paper and cut a strip of tissue along the fold out lines of the tissue, aprox. 9 inches in length and about 4 inches in width I used two layers for the balloons. Next I fit the tissue over the foam and molded it over the heart, gathering the tissue at the bottom of the heart and tie it off with the twist tie. I found that the heat from my hands helped to mold the tissue around the heart so that the shape of the heart balloon came through. This was a great quick and fun craft that cost under $2 to do and will make a great addition to any doll party weather it is Valentines Day or not.  Again I totally recommend picking up a copy of Doll Parties by American Girl if you happen to be in the USA or ordering it, it makes a great birthday gift for a Doll lover and it is under $20.
Have a great weekend! As always I look forward to hearing from you any comments or questions are appreciated you can leave a comment here or email me with questions at karenmowen@gmail.com

1 comment: