Monday, February 28, 2011

Why not make a a doll room?

If you are like me you never have enough space for all the toys and things you make. In fact having three boys and doll stuff everywhere is not always welcome, but for when my nieces come over here is a great doll room I created with other items I have made in previous posts here on my blog.
I made this great space saving, completely folding to flat doll room that can hide behind my couch when it is not in use. I am so excited to share this with you.

Here is how I did it. First I got a card board box that was 23 inches high and this box was 40 inches wide. You can cut a box to any size you need and I folded in the two sides at 12 inches. Next I painted the box with Pink dollar store paint, to get a fast and even coat I used a dollar store sponge. I painted two coats of paint, letting each dry about 1 hour between coats and embellishing. Next I created the window, using the window craft photo from the book Doll Play, which was an odd size. However you can get a similar look if you have a calendar from a real estate agent lying around or the Sunday real estate paper you can pick the perfect view for your window. I used white paper to create a frame and then I covered it with clear peel and stick shelf paper from the dollar store. I then sewed matching curtains and hot glued them to the frame. To add "depth" I used self adhesive velcro (and so I can change the photo if I wanted) and stuck it on the "wall" I then added a border using left over shelf paper from the dollar store, you could paint one or leave it plain. I also cut out the flowers from the shelf paper and used them as decals. To create the horse poster on the wall I used an old greeting card. I also cut out from the American Girl doll catalog doll "photo's" and the logo which I covered with clear peel and stick shelf paper and attached them to the wall. When I was happy with the room, I added the furniture I made from all my other posts. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Laura was thrilled this morning to see my "dolly room" . The best part is it can all be easily put away and folded when she is done playing with it. and if she gets bored with it we can re decorate. I am actually thinking of painting the other side to create a TV room/Kitchen/Dinning room. All in all the entire room took me about 3 hours to make start to finish. I think it would make a great spring break project for any doll lover. As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so send me an email at karenmowen@gmail.com or leave a comment here. If you do make one I would love to see a photo please email me one! I am going to be offering this craft as a spring break class for my group of doll lovers in the next few weeks. I can not wait to see what their rooms look like and yours.

2 comments:

  1. Your bedding is very cute. Did you make that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes I did make the bedding from a pillow case at the dollar store and had enough left over for the curtains. I used an up-cycled baby blanket as the backing fabric! Thank you so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete