Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Repurpose a childs shirt into 18 inch Doll Clothes

For this craft post you will need a sewing machine.(I have posted photos of the outfit to the right of this post.) For a swap I am doing I agreed to make a Hello Kitty outfit for an American Girl Doll, only where I live I can not find Hello Kitty Fabric anywhere. So I set out today to find something so I would not disappoint my partner. Here is what I did. I went to my local thrift stores to find a Hello Kitty something and was thrilled when I found this shirt for $2.99 from H&M it had not even been worn! I loved the ruffle at the bottom of the shirt that had the embroidery of the name Hello Kitty I thought immediately that this would make a great skirt for a doll, then when I could not figure out what to do with the shirt, it dawned on me to use the TAG on the inside of the shirt to sew on the front of a white shirt. Then a quick trip to walmart for new shoes for my oldest son, I saw a three pack of Hello Kitty socks for $3.00 in the perfect color so I picked them up and now will have several pairs of hello kitty socks for my nieces doll as well as this swap. I also made a head band with matching flower and a bracelet that I made with some dollar store beads and a Hello kitty bead someone sent me in a swap. Now the outfit is complete and I thought I would share with you this idea should you have ten to twenty minutes of time and a favorite out grown shirt to make an out fit for your daughters or friends or your own doll. I would love to hear from you any questions or comments so feel free to email me or leave a comment here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    This doll designs as stylish and gorgeous, but they can be just as beautiful and costly. Thanks a lot....

    American Girl Doll Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! It was so inexpensive to make I hope you can make some as in expensively as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out really cute. Good job thinking "outside the box" to get the materials you needed. Now....what are you going to do with the rest of that shirt? LOL

    ReplyDelete