Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Rescue March 2013 & Good Reads

I love second hand stores.  Second hand stores are "Second Chance" stores and not just because you help recycle items keeping them out of landfills. Stores like Value Village and thrift stores in general help the economy, families, charities and really help communities. My favorite thing to rescue from thrift stores are Books.  This past weekend I picked up Happy Birthday Addy, Felicity's Paper Dolls, Clothes & Accessories as well as Meet Addy for a total of $3. All three books did not even have their spines cracked! That means they were not yet read!

If you are new to my blog you may be surprised to know that I am a dyslexic person. I was in my mid twenties when I could finally read and retain books. Reading was never a preferred activity for me and that frustrated my late mother to no end. She loved reading. She had floor to ceiling every single room. 
Now you can often find me reading in my well loved recliner shown above with a Cozy Mystery or American Girl doll book in my hand.
The above image which I found on Facebook really hit me, I wanted to share it with you because I know some of you know or are someone who struggles with reading. 

While I was growing up I never thought I would choose reading as a past time but I recently discovered Good Reads and down loaded their free app to my ipad. I set up my free account and spent two hours playing on this site. When I was done My account showed that I had read more then 65 books in the last 5 years (not including my American Girl books) and I was shocked. What I also loved is that that this site is easy to use, it is very visual and while you type in your book title an image of the book pops up and then you get to rate it. This site also recommends books for you based on how you rate the books you have read. There is even a function that allows you to scan the bar-code on books in stores, thrift stores, library's and more and add them to your to read file. This is really helpful at the library! You can also add Good Reads to your smart phones and always have it with you. I like this part of technology. Click here for Good Reads and start your adventure today .

You can read about more of my American Girl book finds from  last year by clicking here, truth be told there are more then 100 American Girl books in my collection and on my wish list. Always keep your eyes open you will never know what you will find at your local thrift stores....
Oh and I also rescued a "How to draw book" for my son Oliver who had it on his wish list for quite some time as it was on Ebay for more then $60 and I found it at Value Village for 99 cents this weekend.... Such a deal!
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you (especially if you are a fellow book reader/rescuer  or if you are like me have  Dyslexia!) you can leave a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I found School Smarts and A Smart Girl's Guide to Manners at a thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Good Reads. My favorite feature is their book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete