Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Spot light on Sew Fun Doll Clothes

 Today I wanted to share a fun Etsy shop with you, one I have admired for some time. I love getting to know Etsy shop owners and finding out why they do what they do and what motivates them. Today I am sharing with you Shop owner and designer Cher and her shop Sew Fun Doll Clothes.
Cher offers stylish items for your doll in her shop priced $2.50- $42.00

How did you get sewing for 18 inch dolls?
"I’ve been sewing for a long time, but started making doll clothes when my daughters received their Samantha and Kirsten dolls back in the 80’s. My mom gave my girls the dolls, and she gave me the Pleasant Company Samantha and Kirsten sewing patterns so I could make more doll clothes for them."


How many do you have and which ones?
"I currently have 12 American Girl dolls, although one of them, the original white body Samantha doll, is technically my daughters. The dolls who model my doll clothes are: Ivy, Nellie, Molly, Kirsten, Josefina, a bald Felicity that I use different wigs on, a JLY African American doll, my newest doll Emily, Bitty Twin Girl, Bitty Twin boy, and Bitty Baby. It’s a pretty complete modeling agency!"


What are your favorite fall items to create?
"Without a doubt, my favorite fall items to make are Halloween outfits. Now that I’ve become addicted to machine embroidery, there are so many possibilities!! And because I started playing around with gothic and steampunk doll clothes this past summer – I’m going to have a lot of fun creating some really adventurous Halloween outfits this year."
(personal note form Karenmomofthree, I LOVE THIS OUTFIT!"


What is your motivation for creating items for 18 inch dolls?
"My original motivation for creating doll clothes was my own daughters. Having seen the clothes my daughter’s dolls came with, and how quickly they ripped out at the seams, I was eager to make doll clothes more durable that would hold up through repeated kid play. Recently though, with the discovery of steampunk fashion, I’ve come to realize there are a lot of older girls and adult doll collectors looking for an alternative to what we normally see in doll clothes. "


Who do you draw your inspirations from?
"I’m still inspired by the joy of little girls receiving doll clothes as gifts. But I’m also letting my own imagination run a little wild and crazy as inspiration for the Gothic, fantasy, and Steam punk doll clothes!"


What can we look forward to seeing in the coming months?
"In addition to the Halloween outfits already appearing in my shop, I’ll be doing some M2M Girl & her doll holiday tee shirts. I also hope to do more elegantly embroidered pieces, including historical dresses, Gothic gowns, and Steam punk outfits. And of course, lots of cute Christmas stuff! So many plans, so many dolls to sew for, and so little time to get it all done!!"
I want to thank Cher for sharing with us today and I hope you will check out Sew Fun Doll Clothes by clicking any of the blue highlighted words or by clicking here
Cher's shop has something for everyone from 15 inch Bitty's to 18 inch best friend dolls. Check out her shop today.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Cher really has some serious sewing skills! Based on the wardrobe designs and style, she knew what will look good on a doll piece. Little girls would surely love to dress their dolls in her design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you! We love her work!

    ReplyDelete