Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Another New Years Resolution Update! Knitting!


I have another New Years resolution update for you, I showed you my evolving craft room on February 10th and today I thought I would show you some of my knitting progress.
So I learned how to knit in 2010. However I am left handed and it took me a really long time to figure out how to cast on and actually knit. I have not tried to purl yet and can just straight knit so far.
I have been told that the only way to learn how to knit is to practice and I thought it would be great to practice knitting scarves for my dolls. So I started out with casting on 8 stitched and then straight knit until my rectangle was 15 inches long.
I am thrilled with how these have turned out and will keep practicing. I would love to do a blanket for my doll bed and then graduate to actually reading a pattern. I would also love to hear from those of you who are also trying out knitting for the first time and those of you who have been knitting forever!


I did make 12 resolutions for my blog I hope to work through here is a link so you can hold me to my list!
I have acquired my first doll sweater pattern and I figure by letting you know it holds me accountable! My first pattern I am going to try is by Doll Tag clothing and is available through Liberty Jane Patterns for $3.99.

  Click Here for my New Years Resolutions Post
So far I have completed Resolutions, numbers 5 (click here to see the post of my creative space)  and part of number 2, now I just need to learn what to do next. I am working through the list and hope that by December next year I have completed all that I have set out to do.
As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. The scarves look great! I love the red! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarves turned out so nice! I am a long time crocheter, but I would love to expand my knitting skills. I can knit and I can purl. However I can't seem to figure out how to do them together in the same row. It never turns out right.

    Have you seen the Knook? It's a combination of a crochet hook and knitting needle. I have found that it eliminates the problem with the yarn slipping off the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarves do look great! Good job! The red looks so pretty on Saila especially.

    I've known how to knit for years, but I don't do it as often as I should. I've mastered the basic stitch, but I always have to reteach myself how to purl. I find it tricky to master.

    I've knitted a couple of doll and bear sweaters. I'm so slow when it comes to knitting, so it took forever. Anyway, I love that pattern by Doll Tag Clothing. Good luck trying it out. I'm sure you can do it! I may end up trying it out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the encouragement! I have not seen a Knook, I am going to look it up now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the knitting Karen, now we need to get you started with crochet too! ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Karen! Good for you learning to knit, and sticking with it, overcoming the difficulties with being lefthanded. I've been knitting since my Mom taught me when I was 8 (back in prehistoric times). Your scarves turned out GREAT! Have you seen the all-garter-stitch poncho that's FREE on Knitting Pattern Central? I think it's listed under 'AG poncho Knitting pattern' it's all blue in the picture. It may be an easier second project to build up to that nice sweater pattern you bought. I just scoped out knit central yesterday and will be knitting the poncho today for my granddaughter's Joshephina doll. I also first visited your site yesterday (thanks dolldiaries) and am excited about all your wonderful ideas for expanding our doll world with more imagination and crafting than money. Thanks also for your kind comment on the doll rooms hubby and I built for the grands.

    ReplyDelete