Thursday, December 27, 2012

Brandy's Boy Dolls

Today Brandy shares with us her "Boy" Dolls! I am so excited to be able to finally share with you this post!
My daughters had asked me to work with Santa to make them American Boy dolls
for Christmas.  Hmmm, how to make a boy doll?  Well, after a little research
I was able to help Santa make a Christmas wish come true.



I started working on these dolls over the summer.  I wanted to take my time
to avoid mistakes.  I watched several YouTube videos on how to replace wigs
and properly clean the dolls.  You can also find videos to show you how to
tighten lose limbs, but I didn't need to do that with the dolls I used.

First, I searched eBay for gently used dolls.  One doll I purchased was
nearly perfect.  Another doll looked to be perfect in pics but the doll
received had glitter over the eyes and marker across a cheek and lips. I was
fortunate that all limbs were tight.  Don't be afraid to ask for additional
pictures.  Also read all seller feedback.

Next, wigs were removed.  I did not use acetone.  I simply started at the
nape of the neck and pulled up and use and small spoon to wedge the wig up.
Scissors were used when needed.  Both dolls had damaged wigs to begin with,
so I wasn't overly careful with them; they were going to be discarded
regardless. Fine sandpaper was used to sand down any uneven spots from
remaining glue.

Then, each doll was thoroughly cleaned. Make sure eyes are closed and free
from possible water dripping into them.  I used a magic eraser on face and
limbs. If body cloth is dirty, it can be spot cleaned.  If a major
restoration is needed a new fabric torso can be found on eBay.  I used 10%
Benzyl Peroxide acne medicine (with sun exposure) on the marker spots.  It
was successful and all markers were removed from the dolls face.



Wigs had been purchased at www.monique.com. I purchased the Johnny Wig in
blonde and light brown.  Size 10-11.  Tacky glue was used to attach the
wigs.

Here is a list of vendors for boy doll clothes:


Linda's Doll Closet: Linda made my daughters custom made WVU pajamas.  They
are so cute and her prices are very reasonable.  Quality is great too.
I can't wait to order more!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Lindasdollcloset


All Dolled Up Doll Clothes:  Terrie made my daughters very cute outfits.
She does have a boy doll line of clothes.  Her clothes are great quality and
will last many years of doll play.  She is great to work with.
http://www.alldolledup-dollclothes.com/


Through random searches, I also came by a few gender-neutral outfits on
eBay.  Boy doll briefs can also be purchased at a few Etsy shops.  Tennis
shoes were from the Springfield doll collection and Michael's craft store.
Little accessories such as toy cars, super hero figures, or plastic lizards
all make them more cuter and can be found at your local dollar store.


Thank you to Brandy for sharing her experience with all of us today, I simply must get a boy doll now! I love how inspiring Brandy's ideas are!
As with all out posts we would love to hear from you so please leave us a comment here or email us at karenmowen@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Hi Brandy,

    I like the boy dolls. What are their names? My doll mom got a customized Our Generation Boy doll from Etsy. His name is Danny. If you want to see him, check out my mom's YouTube channel (Hardygirl66).

    ReplyDelete